You are here

Effective July 31, 2009, the Minister of Housing and Social Development announced that the Reconstruction Program has stopped accepting new applications. See Ministry of Housing and Social Development Information Bulletin.

As part of government’s review of Crown corporations, the Province transferred the administration of the Reconstruction Program to the Ministry of Finance effective April 1, 2010. See Ministry of Housing and Social Development Information Bulletin.

As of June 30, 2010 the PST Relief Grant for owners of homes with completed building envelope renovations was terminated in conjunction with the introduction of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). See the Ministry of Housing and Social Development bulletin.

The Homeowner Protection Office provides a variety of information and assistance for owners of water-damaged homes which includes:

Requirements for Repair Contractor Licensing and Third-party Home Warranty Insurance on Building Envelope Renovations

Since September 30, 2000, repair contractors who perform building envelope renovations must be licensed by the Homeowner Protection Office and provide mandatory, third-party warranty insurance in order to get a building permit for applicable building envelope renovations. In geographic areas where building permits are not required for such building envelope renovations, licensing and warranty insurance must be in place prior to the commencement of the renovations.

These requirements were put in place to protect consumers. It helps ensure that the repair is done right the first time, and if a construction defect occurs, the owner is protected by a policy of insurance. Be aware that some repair options do not meet the requirements of the Homeowner Protection Act regulations. Repairs that do not meet the specific requirements of the Building Envelope Renovation Regulations, are not required to be performed by licensed building envelope renovators or have repair warranty insurance.

These regulations do not apply to the following categories: buildings with only one or two self-contained dwelling units, multi-unit rental buildings, social housing, hotels and motels, dormitories, care facilities, floating homes, repairs carried out by the original builder at no cost to the owner(s) or when there is a cost-sharing agreement between the original builder and the owner(s), buildings covered with Homeowner Protection Act legislated warranty insurance, or when the dollar threshold1 and/or the percentage of cladding surface renovated threshold2 is/are not met.

1the building envelope renovation cost is greater than or equal to $10,000 or $2,000 per unit in the building
2building envelope renovations in which 60% or more of any cladding surface is renovated

When selecting a repair strategy, make an informed decision. Ask:

  • Is the repair contractor licensed by the Homeowner Protection Office as a building envelope renovator? See Registry of Licensed Building Envelope Renovators.
  • Will you receive repair warranty insurance on the repair? Ask about the nature and extent of the warranty.
  • Get it in writing!

Resources Available