You are here
Revised and expanded in 2014, it explains how new homes should perform and which defects are covered under home warranty insurance in British Columbia. This includes defects in design, labour or materials. The Guide is designed primarily for conventional low-rise, wood-frame homes which is the main method of residential construction in B.C.
Homeowners can use the Guide to determine whether a possible construction defect might be covered by home warranty insurance and to better understand how warranty providers may evaluate claims in new homes.
Builders can use the Guide to help ensure that they deliver high-performance homes.
Available only online, this free resource Guide:
- Features more than 290 performance conditions
- Provides helpful maintenance tips
- Addresses possible defects in 15 major construction categories
- Provides uniform criteria to help consumers self-evaluate possible defects
- Covers the most common defect claims submitted under a home warranty insurance policy
- Explains the minimum required performance of new homes under home warranty insurance in B.C.
Searching the Guide
Find the information faster. Click on any link in the Table of Contents in the Guide to go directly to that page.
Overview of Changes to Guide
Message from the Minister
- View the Message from the Minister
For More Information
- What's New
- Regulatory Bulletins
- Residential Construction Performance Guide
- Seismic Design Guide
- Energy Efficiency Requirements Guides
- Building Enclosure Design Guide
- Housing Foundations & Geotechnical Challenges Guide
- R22+ Effective Walls in Wood-Frame Construction in B.C.
- Heat Recovery Ventilation Guide for Multi-Unit Residential Buildings
- Heat Recovery Ventilation Guide for Houses
- Best Practices for Air Sealing & Insulation Retrofits
- Pathways to High-Performance Housing
- Energy-Efficient Enclosures Guide
- Window and Door Replacement Guide
- Building Envelope Guide
- Building Envelope Thermal Bridging Guide
- Consumer Guides
- Maintenance Matters
- Builder Insight
- Building BC
- Builder Qualifications
- Builders & Developers
- Compliance & Enforcement
- Owner Builders
- Research & Education
- Act & Regulations
- Dispute Resolution
- About the HPO